Tuesday 24 June 2014

When the sky talks

When we were children, our parents used to point at the sky and said, " Look at that bright little star. It's your grandmother. She passed away long ago and became a star. Now she's smiling at you from the sky." Our tiny minds became overwhelmed with strange emotions. Sometimes they told us that the scars in the moon are nothing but a deer strolling down a big Holy basil or Tulsi plant. In Assamese-  " তুলসীৰ তলে তলে মৃগ পহু চৰে !" The big and glorious sky was always standing beside us during our childhood, bewildering us every now and then.

When I was a teenager, I made friendship with the sky. I don't recall exactly now how many nights passed by counting the bright little stars and talking my heart out to a strange friend who always listened quietly, with whom I could share everything. It really felt awesome to spend the night beneath the open sky, laying in the green grass, inhaling the raw smell of the land.

Gradually, I discovered that the sky also has emotion. The vermillion coloured sky of an autumn evening smiles like a dream girl spreading its beauty everywhere. The blue sky looks so peaceful that whenever I feel down, I look upwards. "Peace is just above your heads!", the sky whispers. Have you ever noticed the rainbow across the rain drops splashing at your window glasses? Don't you feel like singing or dancing to the tune of the rain drops? I simply stare at the sky whenever lightning flashes across it. It just says, "Look how beautiful I am! Don't you think so?" The sky looks like an old man just before darkness prevails. But it springs up the very next day with new colours and new emotions.

Life is a bit hectic now. I don't get much time to see my old friend as I did in the yesteryears. But I believe that it has sprinkled lots of flavours into my life and it will continue to do so...as a good old friend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment