Tuesday 22 February 2011

The passion for music

Music...this five letter word means so much to me. Right from the day I learned to stop and take heed of  every bit of sound that seemed to be soothing to my ears, I always could not help but wondering at the genius of the person who created music first. In this context, a quotation by a famous Indian musician, the Mozart of Chennai, A.R. Rahman is worth-mentioning - " Thanks to the creator for making music the language of languages."

The first lesson of music for me, as far as I remember, was to learn how to play the Harmonium. It was not so difficult for me as I was very keen and much excited to even touch it. Then came the lessons that laid the foundation stone for my singing abilities. At an age of  10, I went to a music college at our neighbourhood where I learned the ABC of Indian Classical Music. I have taken music as my hobby since those days. Slowly it turned into my passion and a great friend at the time of weal and woe. I use to sing when I am happy. I use to sing when I am sad. This can not be simply termed as craziness. The divine feeling that music gives to my mind is unparalleled. 


I remember an incident when I discovered my guitar smashed by somebody on a very gloomy day. I was deeply perturbed when I visited a music shop and found that my guitar was in an unrepairable state.  Almost six months of complete emptiness surrounded me after that day as I could not help but thinking about the great loss(the guitar). I lost a good friend. I lost my happiness, my emotion everything. But, one day I managed to meet a person who came into my life in the form of a saviour and repaired my guitar with great expertise. I rediscovered my jolliness. 

I know that there are so many people in the world who are mad about music. They think that music is part and parcel of life and I can proudly say that I am also one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment